Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Pixar Challenge: Rule #7


Pixar’s Rule #7
Come up with your ending before you figure out your middle. Seriously. Endings are hard, get yours working up front.

The best books I have ever read leave you wanting more because the story ends with you amazed.  It can’t be totally predictable and (my overused word) boring.  I tend to be a bit ADHD and with three of my five boys severely ADHD, I am constantly looking for books that keep your attention all the way to the bitter sweet end.  So, endings are super duper important.

As a teacher we teach with the end in mind.  I know it’s a little different, but—it has some of the same importance.  You know what the students need to know, you set a good pace, and you set up some amazing lessons to get them to the end.  Finally, they are prepared for the next grade level.

When writing if you get the most difficult job out of the way before you start—you have most of the work complete.  With the ending ever present in your mind, you can be cautious not to give too much away.  You can also set little traps for the reader and lead them down the wrong path.  This way you will surprise them in the end. But be mindful not to take a trip way off the main road.  

In my opinion, this is a great idea.  Know the ending.  Write an outline.  Use the fabulous ‘fill in the blank’ sentences from Rule #4 and set your story on a good path.  Take the reader on a magical journey and end the story in a perfect place.  In the end, make the reader anxious for the next book.

Do you always know where you are going when you start writing?  If you know where you want to end, is it easier to write?

Also, all of you should check out the posts from my blogging friends who are doing this challenge with me! The first posts go up today. Links to Kate Brauning, Talynn Lynn, Mary Pat, and Alex Yuschik’s blogs are located on the side bar. 

We’d love to see comments on our post and share anything you enjoy.  Thank you for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I think that knowing what you want your characters to learn at the ending of the book helps inspire creative situations for them to puddle through. I don't *always* know the exact ending, but I usually have an idea of where I want them to be in the end:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! The path needs a destination, right?

    ReplyDelete